UK Food Bloggers Badge

Saturday, 18 June 2011

Simples!

Much as I like to make everything from scratch, there are times when there is simply no point in reinventing the wheel - or in this case, the pancake.
The ready made pancakes I buy contain all natural ingredients, but you don't see them in the shops every week. So when I do, I tend to snap them up. They can be used with savoury and sweet fillings.
One of my all time favourite savoury fillings is spinach and Red Leicester with red onion. This is so simple but yet so tasty and I first tasted this combination while working at a bank in the City in the 80's.
So, I start with a bundle of spinach (39p from Yasar Halim, by the way as opposed to £1 in Sainsbury). Now, this is proper spinach, not that anondyne candy floss the supermarkets sell. Its actually grown in fields and comes with the mud still on it. So, first things first, give it a darned good wash under a running cold tap. Then chop it.
Now, heat a teaspoon of oil in a saucepan and drop the spinach into wilt it down. Once thats done, turn off the heat. Chuck in some salt, a fair bit of black pepper and a good load of grated cheese. I prefer to have a 50 - 50 mix of spinach to cheese. Finally, add the well chopped Red Onion.
Now, heat up a large frying pan. You can use some oil, or if you are using a non-stick pan, you can dry fry the pancakes. Get them nice and hot on both sides and slide the pancake onto a plate or tray. Drop a good dollop of the mixture in and roll the pancake tightly over it. I find this is a lot less fiddly than trying to roll it over in the pan. Then, transfer it to the pan and give it some more heat, turning it over a couple of times, until the cheese is nicely melted. Repeat this operation until you've used up all the mix.
You can serve the pancakes with whatever you like. I had sweetcorn and some green beens, which was very tasty. Alternatively a green salad and some halved cherry tomatoes would work well. Whatever, play around, you'll find a combination you'll like.
I still have a goodly number of pancakes left (I got them from Iceland by the way), so breakfast is going to be pancakes with perhaps some of that pineapple I brought this morning, caramelised in maple syrup. I'll start me diet on Monday, honest I will.