UK Food Bloggers Badge

Friday, 27 May 2011

A different kind of 'weekly shop'

I sometimes think that if Social Services came round and looked in my food cupboard, they'd probably want to have me taken into care!

This is my main food cupboard and as you can see, there is not a lot there but that's because there is no need for it.

Living in this wonderful area, I can get amazing food 24 hours a day and at prices that would shame the supermarkets. So, I figure, why do I need to keep loads of stuff in stock?

What I keep are raw materials. There are the pastas, rices and things like polenta and cous cous. About the only tinned good I have are beans. Now, I know you can buy dried beans round here. But, sorry, its just too much like hard work for me. I'll very often not make up my mind on what I want to eat until I get home from work, so I would never be able to plan ahead to pre-soak them.

In that big black box are various spices and things like garlic and stock cubes. Again, I don't see the point in making stock just for me. In my fridge, I keep a sealed box for herbs which helps them stay nice and fresh.

These are the things I stock up on every week. I then decide what I want to make with them and thats when I go shopping. I have nothing in the larder at home, because there are a dozen larders just at the bottom of my street - Amazing!