UK Food Bloggers Badge

Sunday, 25 April 2010

A scene of utter devestation

Every picture tells a story - and this one is no different.

Its Sunday evening - the worst time of the week as far as I am concerned. There is bugger all to do. All my teacher mates are busy planning next week's lessons and I am bored!

So, get in the kitchen and what can I do?

Grabbed a packet of ready made short crust pastry from the supermarket. Now, normally I make my own based on Elaine Eade's famous 'Chough's' recipe. Elaine is the Matriarch of Chough's Bakery in Padstow, which produces the finest pasties in all of Cornwall. However, I really cannot be arsed with making my own, so an off the shelf solution is called for.

What can I put in them? Well, last night I did a veggie version of Raymond Blanc's Stuffed Tomatoes. It was totally gorgeous and the best of it was that I had loads of stuffing and ragu sauce left over.

Well, only one thing for it innit, bruv! I have the bowl of stuffing out of the fridge and thats the first two pasties dealt with.

Now, in Blanc's recipe he uses dead pig. No chance of that I feel. Instead, I boil some lentils in a stock cube to give them a bit of flavour. Then I add some grated cheese, sweetcorn, tomato puree, a few finely chopped brown mushrooms, some finely chopped red onions and a teaspoon or two of dried tarragon as well as half a teaspoon of balsamic vinegar and some salt and pepper. Odd mix I know, but even uncooked it tastes good. In the stuffed tomatoes is comes out tasting fantabulosa, so it should work in a pasty.

That sorts two pasties out. I've still got the ragu sauce.

Now, I make ragu (pasta) sauce in EXACTLY the same way every Michelin starred chef in the world does.

I chop up an onion and fry it gently in olive oil. Next, I throw in two cloves of sliced garlic. You are only supposed to do one, but I like garlic. Next, chuck in a can of chopped tomatoes and a bit of puree. Finally lob in either dried or fresh basil according to taste. Season with salt and pepper and simmer for 20 minutes. Done, sorted!

So, have a bit of that left. Stir in loads of grated cheese and that does two more pasties.

Last bit of cheese goes into the last bit of the wild garlic pesto I made a couple of nights ago. That does the fifth one.

Stick them in the oven for 20 minutes. However, my housemate comes past the cooker and decides to turn it off at the mains. Oh dear, never mind. I put it back on again, but the pasties come out a bit burnt as a result of suffering from cookus interruptus.

Still, they taste great. The Cheddar and Wild Garlic pasty tastes totally amazing!

In the meantime, I have to clean up the ruddy kitchen. Cooking's great fun. However, the one thing they never talk about in all the cookery books is the bleeding mess that results from your efforts!

Now, I am famous for using everything in the kitchen to boil an egg and tonight is no different. Still, its therapeutic really and at least I made a totally stunning pasty, so its all worth it really!