UK Food Bloggers Badge

Thursday, 5 November 2009

Cooking on Stones

One of the most useful tools in my kitchen is a stone.

Now, when I mentioned to my Nepalese housemate that I cooked on a stone he was quite surprised - cos the English don't do that sort of thing!

Back home in Nepal his family and friends use them all the time - and I understand why.

One of my favourite things to bake is Cornish Pasties. Now, I'll tell the story of my first every REAL Cornish pasty soon - honest I will. But, what that taste did for me was introduce me to the idea of making my own pasties.

Now, if you wanna make really good pasties, a stone is essential. Stick it in the oven for about ten minutes, get it really hot and then dump your pasties on it to cook. What you end up with is pastry cooked all the way round - resulting in really tasty pasties. You can do other baking with them as well and the results are always good. if you want really good, low fat chips, then peel your spuds, chip them and brush them with oil and stick them on a hot stone. They will be fantastic!

My stone is pictured above. I got it from my mate Steven, who is an agent for Pampered Chef. they make some of the handiest and best made kitchen kit you can get. The stone costs £15 or so. But I tell you this, its one of the must useful bits of kit I have in the kitchen. .